Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My own personal cake wreck!

If you've never checked it out and need a laugh, might I recommend another blog: http://www.cakewrecks.com/ Here she has pictures of some of the most horrifying, ugly and hilarious professionally decorated cakes you've ever seen. One of my sister in laws (naming no names: Molly) enjoys it so much she even bought the book: and loaned it to me. I thought it was hilarious. And, much to my amusement Nina and Mary loved it too. They spent hours studying every picture and picking out the ones they liked the best and fighting over what their next birthday cake was going to look like. Which is how we came up with this little cake: http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2010/6/16/our-world-cup-overfloweth.html
If you can't tell I believe it's a bee hive with swarming (and vomiting) bees.

Luckily I'm not a professional: so my standards aren't quite as high. Or at least they shouldn't be.

So: where to start? A few years ago I made a doll cake for Nina:
So: I started with that base. I also inherited a great cake book from my Linda-in-law that has cakes from all over America. It had a recipe for Caramel Cake, from the book: The Help.
Perfect! Caramel is honey colored.
(Making the caramel wasn't nearly as scary as making marshmallows) And for the most part the caramel stayed put and didn't ALL slide off the sides.

Now for those bees...
I knew things would probably go badly at this point, but I'm not a professional and figured I would just do my best. I ended up drizzling melted chocolate into the approximate shape of a bee. My wonderful husband's first comment: "they look like bats."
Well, heck it's almost Halloween after all!
Bumble bats it is then! Or maybe even bee-bats. Either way it tasted good and a few people even figured it out on their own.

Happy 3rd Birthday to my sweet Mary!!!

No comments: