Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy Haunts

While I don't "love" Halloween I do enjoy all the fall activities that go along with Halloween, like carving pumpkins. Here in Arizona as much as we try to pretend it is fall, however, it is usually still just below the 100 mark on the thermometer. You can tell who is here for their first fall because they get excited and carve their pumpkins anywhere from 2-7 days BEFORE Halloween and by the big night their pumpkins are scary indeed. We did these on Oct 30. And when I say we I of course mean me. At the last minute Andy had to work and I had to do them all myself! Good thing I've been working out, because that was a lot of work!!! After I cleaned them all out George stepped up and insisted on carving his own this year! Who said he was allowed to grow up!?! His is the one on the bottom right. Nina wanted the cat and Mary wanted nothing to do with anything even remotely scary. In fact she insisted that the baby pumpkin was not being eaten, but was being "held" by its mommy. Well, I guess if you're a pumpkin how else would you carry around your baby?!?


Next we come to the big night. Is there a trick-or-treater here?!? How exciting.


I just happened to have a buffalo hat so was able to manipulate Nina into using it for her costume. And what a beautiful Viking princess she is too! Although this picture makes me think that perhaps we have watched a little too much america's next top model... I had a very cute fairy costume all ready for Mary, but she insisted on being a pumpkin. The problem was that the costume was 2 sizes too small - but you try to change a 3 year old's mind! This year I told George he needed to look around and figure something out because I wasn't buying him a costume. He creatively came up with a hunter because he had a camouflage pop-gun and a camo baseball cap. But wait you say - that's not what's in the picture. Well, 30 minutes before go-time we realized that his costume was in the back of Andy's jeep - a 90 minute drive away :( I am so proud of George though. He didn't have a melt down, not even any crying. We quickly sprang into action and found one of Andy's USMC hats and an air gun. We painted his face and he went as a Marine instead. Phew! That could have been a disaster.
The kids had a great time. And, we'll be donating all the candy... somewhere, so long as it's out of the house.

Next stop: Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: