Well: it's that time of year again! And by that I mean for a freak snow storm to hit the Rim Country in AZ while the Robinson's attempt to find the "perfect" Christmas tree.
Not that we are complaining: but when it's actively snowing, the car is stuck in a snow bank and the 3 year old wants to be carried trying to find a tree can be a little stressful. But, it does make for the Christmas tree hunt I always wanted as a kid.
We did manage to get off of Control Road without a tow and we did manage to find what turned out to be one of the best looking trees we've ever had... go figure! We cut the first one we found that was approximately the right size and shape. We had no idea what it looked like until we got home; which turned out to be a little later than we had planned...
After all the difficulties of driving to the tree cutting area (only 5 miles from the cabin!) Andy and I were a little skeptical of our chances of getting back to the valley. It kept snowing off and on and on some level we felt like we had used all of the warnings God was going to give us. But still we couldn't decide one way or the other. Finally we decided to pray about it. And while I know you should never pray for a specific sign that is what I did and what I got. As we were standing there praying, looking out the front window it literally started to visibly snow harder and then a car skidded down the road past the house. Good enough for me!
It all worked out though. The kids got a lot more time to build snowmen (Mary's favorite part was destroying them, so you had to build fast) and sledding down Mount Abel - which is more like a hill, but it's steep and is perfect for being on the property.
I've been trying very hard to take time to enjoy the time we have together this holiday season. To not worry about the things I can't control and to minimalize the worry about the things that I think I can control (ha!) I've been amazed at the wonder and excitement Mary has had; this is the first Christmas the she can really comprehend what's going on. Getting the ornaments for the tree out was almost more excitement than she could handle. She just sits and stares at them now and then tells you all about them. Nina counts down everyday and is very good at keeping track of everything. George believes in everything so much it hurts a little knowing that that trust and security in what you believe just can't last much longer. I'm just taking the small moments and hoping they last.
Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment